Seriously, what is it with Monica Hughes? Why can’t anyone remember what books she wrote? If you haven’t read them already go and find Devil On My Back and The Dreamcatcher. Monica Hughes, people! She deserves to be remembered.
And to bulk out this entry a bit here are some more post-apocalyptic fiction recommendations since both Hughes titles are set after a nuclear holocaust event. I’m keeping myself to ten titles or I’ll be here forever. All are young-adult – or can pass as such. All contain some reference to adult themes. I’d advise these for readers aged 13+.
- Brother in the Land by Robert Swindells (1984)
- Children of the Dust by Louise Lawrence (1985)
- Deepwater Black by Ken Catran (1995)
- Exodus by Julie Bertagna (2002)
- Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve (2001)
- Noah’s Castle by John Rowe Townsend (1975)
- Shade’s Children by Garth Nix (1997)
- The Chrysalids by John Wyndham (1955)
- When the Tripods Came by John Christopher (1988)
- Z for Zachariah by Robert O’Brian (1975)
On LibraryThing (the library cataloguing website) I have some of these and other adult titles saved under the tag post-holocaust.